I PUT THIS ON EVERYTHING! Making chilli oil at home might seem like a daunting task at first, but once you understand the key steps, it only takes five minutes to make the best tasting chilli oil that complements every dish! It is surprisingly easy to make at home and makes any dumpling, stir fried noodle/rice dish taste out of this world!
- 4 Tbsp chili flakes (the more seeds in the pack, the spicier the oil will be. Feel free to adjust accordingly)
- 3 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 Tsp five spice
- 1 Tsp Sichuan peppercorns (ground and seeds removed)
- 2 bay leaves
- 225ml vegetable/sunflower oil
- Ginger (a few slices)
- Toast your sesame seeds in a large, dry pan.
- Keep an eye on them to ensure they don’t burn.
- Toast them until they turn into a nice golden color.
- Pop the toasted sesame seeds & measure out the rest of your dry ingredients into a heatproof bowl.
- Stir everything together.
- Slice the ginger.
- Heat the oil on a stove.
- Drop your ginger in after a couple of minutes.
- When the ginger slices start to turn brown, that means the oil is at the correct temperature.
- Remove the oil off the heat immediately.
- Pour your hot oil over your dry ingredients and watch then bubble!
- Mix the hot oil with the dry ingredients well together.
- Leave it to cool completely before decanting into jars ready for storage in the fridge.
- Your jars of chilli oil will keep for up to 6 months.
- I put this on EVERYTHING! So it most definitely doesn’t last that long for me 😛
- SCOOP AND ENJOY!
PS: You can add extra spices and peanuts too!
Send download link to:
Recipe and images contributed by Josephine from Isolationeating. Check out more of her delicious recipes here!
Let us know how it went by tagging us!
@lastminuteitinerary | #lastminuteitinerary