Pinakbet is a Native Filipino Mixed-Veggies dish that is flavorful and colorful. The dish is flavored with a favorite Filipino condiment – sauteed shrimp paste. I gave a little texture to this recipe by adding Lechon Kawali (Pork Belly Deep-Fried).
1/2 a lb ground pork
1 tablespoon oil
1 small onion peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
2 tablespoons shrimp paste
2 medium tomatoes chopped
1-1/2 cups water
1/2 small pumpkin
6 to 8 okra ends trimmed
1/2 bunch long beans ends trimmed and cut into 3-inch lengths
1 large eggplant ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch thick
Salt and pepper to taste
For the Lechon Kawali
1 lb pork belly
1 tsp salt
1/2 a tsp pepper
2-3 pcs bay leaves
- Bring a pot to boil, put the salt, pepper, bay leaves and pork belly.
- Cook for 45 min but depending on the thickness of the pork, make sure it’s cooked.
- Put it in the freezer overnight.
- In pot over medium heat, heat oil.
- Saute onions, garlic and pork.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cook for 15 mins.
- Add shrimp paste, add a little bit of water and bring to a boil.
- Add pumpkin and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add okra, long beans, and eggplant.
- Continue to cook for about 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender yet crisp.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Deep fry the frozen pork belly on high heat for 5 min each side or until crispy. Chop and put on top Pinakbet.
- Add lechon kawali and gently toss until just heated through. Serve hot.
Send download link to:
Recipe and images contributed by Kristine Belamide from Cookinwithtin Check out more of her delicious recipes here!