This Homemade Pork Belly Bao is always a hit with the family especially with kids. Don’t let the steps scare you cause it’s really not that much and it’s very worth it!
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 tbsp garlic powder
- 5 green onions (Chopped)
- 2 pounds pork belly (Sliced)
- 2 tsp raw sugar
- Vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic (Chopped)
- 1 tbsp white onion (Chopped)
- 1 mustard greens (Chopped)
- Sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 3 tsp cilantro
- 6 Pork Belly Buns
- 3 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- Roasted peanuts
- Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder and green onions in a pot with 4 cups of water. This will be the marinade.
- Bring to boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Combine the marinade and the pork belly in a pan. Cover and marinate for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Set the pan with the marinated pork belly in the oven.
- Cook until tender, about 3 hours.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Set a second pan directly on the pork belly and weigh it with canned goods to compress the pork belly.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or until the pork belly is firm.
- Crush the roasted peanuts and mix in the raw sugar. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and heat it over medium fire.
- Add garlic, white onions and preserved mustard greens.
- Saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the sweet soy sauce. Set aside.
- Slice the pork belly into 3-inch long blocks, and then cut into 1/2-inch thick rectangles.
- Sear on both sides in a little oil until golden brown.
- Set up a steamer and steam the Baos until soft and fluffy.
- Open up the steamed buns.
- Spread each with 1/2 tablespoon of the hoisin sauce.
- Top the buns with a slice of pork belly with 1 tablespoon of the preserved mustard green mixture.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the crushed peanuts and some chopped cilantro.
PS: You can make a vegetarian version of this bao too!
Send download link to:
Recipe and images contributed by Kristine from Cookinwithtin Check out more of her delicious recipes here!
Let us know how it went by tagging us!
@lastminuteitinerary | #lastminuteitinerary